Native Hawaiian Health Care Workforce of Professionals committed to serve the unique health needs of Hawaiian communities
Support Programs that Mauli Ola Mālamalama offers:
- Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship (Annually - Opens February 1st)
- The Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program addresses access to health care by developing a Native Hawaiian health care workforce of professionals committed to serve the unique health needs of Hawaiian communities.
- The program recruits and nurtures professionals in-training for primary health care disciplines and specialties most needed to deliver quality, culturally competent health services to Native Hawaiians throughout the State of Hawai‘i.
- In addition to requiring admittance to accredited schools and programs, this merit-based program awards generous scholarships to eligible individuals that appear to be dedicated to providing primary health services to Native Hawaiians and their families in Hawai‘i.
- Recipients are obligated to serve full-time in medically under-served areas in Hawai‘i for two (minimum) to four (maximum) years, depending upon the length of time of scholarship support.
- Scholars will receive funding for tuition, books, other related educational costs, and a monthly stipend while enrolled “full-time” in an accredited university/college program. A coordinated service plan (licensure, service site) will be designed specifically for each graduate.
- 2021 Eligible Health Professions (May change every year):
- Clinical Psychology (PhD or PsyD)Dentistry (DDS or DMD)
- Dental Hygiene (BSDH or ASDH)
- Dietetics/Nutrition (MSDD)
- Nursing, Nurse-Midwifery and Nurse Practitioners (DNP, MSN, NM or NP, BSN, ADN)
- Physician (MD or DO)
- Physician Assistant (MSPA)
- Social Work (MSW)
- Kako'o Ulu 'Oihana
- The Kako'o Ulu 'Oihana program provides one time support for members of the health care workforce that are committed to serving Native Hawaiian communities.
- Awardees will receive funding for support that may include, but is not limited to, books, supplies, prep course certifications, licensure, conference registrations or other costs related to a student project or presentation.
2021 Kako'o Ulu 'Oihana (2nd Cycle) will open on December 6, 2021 at 8:00 AM HST.
2021 Kako'o Ulu 'Oihana (1st Cycle) is now CLOSED, and no longer accepting applications.
2021-2022 Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship is now CLOSED, and no longer accepting applications.